The Following Information is compliments of The Home Depot and the ECO Options available at The Home Depot in Blairsville and Blue Ridge Georgia, as well as all across North America and many other countries.
With Simple Greenscaping practices you can save time and money while protecting the environment. How? Save time by landscaping with plants that require less watering and feeding. Save money by eliminating unnecessary water and chemical use. Protect the environment by conserving water supplies, using chemicals properly and only when necessary, and reduce yard waste by recycling yard trimmings into free fertilizer. Learn more at EPA.GOV/GREENSCAPES.
THERE ARE MORE POLLUTANTS INSIDE THAN THERE ARE OUTSIDE
In fact, indoor pollutant levels can be two to five times higher than outdoor levels. The most efficient way to reduce pollutants? Use an electrostatic air filter in your heating and cooling system. Other simple steps include choosing zero VOC paint, and adding an ENERGY STAR qualified air pollutant.
ECO TIP: By choosing ENERGY STAR qualified products, you can save up to 30% on your energy bill, without sacrificing features, style or comfort.
Did you know that the average household spends as much as $500 per year on its water and sewer bill. By making just a few simple changes to use water more efficiently, you could save about $170 per year.
ECO TIP: Fix leaky faucets, toilets and plumbing joints. You can save 20 Gallons of water PER DAY for every leak you stop!
10 ECO FUN FACTS
1. One 98’ tree with 200,000 leaves can absorb 11,359 gallons of water and breathe it into the air in just one growing season.
2. WaterSense labeled products use about 20% less water and perform as well or better than their less efficient counterparts.
3. Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL’s) consume up to 75% less energy and they last up to 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
4. If 1–in-10 homes used ENERGY STAR qualified appliances, the change would be like planting 1.7 million acres of trees.
5. By replacing your 10–year-old refrigerator, dishwasher, room air conditioners and clothes washer with ENERGY STAR qualified models you can save about $180 a year.
6. The average home can accumulate as much as 100 pounds of household hazardous waste in the basement, garage, and storage closets.
7. The average human breathes in about 16,000 quarts of air each day, and each quart contains about 70,000 particles.
8. Most Americans spend up to 90% of their time indoors. The Environmental Protections Agency (EPA) estimates that indoor air pollutant levels may be two to five times higher than the pollutant levels outdoors.
9. An average family of four uses 400 gallons of water everyday. If 1 out of 10 homes in the U.S. upgraded to water-efficient fixtures, it could save more than 300 billion gallons and nearly $2 billion annually.
10. Rain forests generate 40% of the world’s oxygen. Only plants, including trees, can produce enough new oxygen to support life on Earth.
Let’s all do our part to preserve our beautiful North Georgia Mountains and the entire world around us. Follow these great tips and begin taking the steps necessary to Go Green! If you have any questions or concerns about Going Green in the North Georgia Mountains, please call me at 706.633.8186 or email me at ChadL@KW.com. Thanks so much for taking the time to read these great tips and sound advice from The Home Depot.
Make it a GREAT day!