If You Closed on Your Primary Home in Georgia in 2022, the Deadline to File is Saturday, April 1, 2023
A Homestead Exemption is a reduction in homeowner’s property taxes. The amount of the exemption for each homestead exemption is deducted from the assessed value of the property. This is a one-time filing. To qualify, you must apply for this exemption no later than April 1, 2023. Once granted, this exemption is automatically renewed each year you continually occupy the home under the same ownership.
How Do You File a Homestead Exemption?
Determine if You’re Eligible
To be eligible for a homestead exemption:
- You must have owned the property as of January 1.
- The home must be considered your legal residence for all purposes.
- You must occupy the home.
- You cannot already claim a homestead exemption for another property in Georgia or in any other state.
Gather What You’ll Need
Required documents vary by county or city. If you are applying for a special exemption, additional documentation to show proof of eligibility will be required. They can include:
- Homeowner’s name
- Property address
- Property’s parcel ID
- Proof of residency, such as a copy of a valid Georgia driver’s license and a copy of vehicle registration
- Recorded deed for new owners, if county records have not been updated
- Trust document and affidavit, if the property is in a trust
File Your Homestead Exemption
You must file with the county in which you live. Each county has its own set of applications and paperwork. Click on your county for more information.
Cherokee County, GA
Fannin County, GA
Gilmer County, GA
Habersham County, GA
Lumpkin County, GA
Pickens County, GA
Rabun County, GA
Towns County, GA
Union County, GA
White County, GA
If you need general information about Georgia’s Homestead Exemption, go to the official website for the state of Georgia. Time is of the essence, so file your application soon!
Once approved, most homestead exemptions are automatically renewed each year as long as you continually occupy the home under the same ownership.
Footer Social Links